Thanks to David McKie, past captain and honorary member of Stewarton Golf Club, for providing some of the pictures, and also for his invaluable help in locating the Stewarton courses. David was born on a farm called Meikle Cutstraw ,which was over the fence fom the course. David’s mother remembers moving into Cutsraw in 1942, to find pails of golf balls in the barn. The previous owner George Logan, refused to allow golfers to come on to his property to retreive out of bound balls. David’s father often traded these in for motor bike batteries at the local garage whose owner, John Dickson, played golf at Caldwell Golf course at Uplawmoor.
The course was first laid out in 1912, on 17 acres of land belonging to John Sim, a Butcher in Stewarton. It was situated on the south side of the Cutsburn, land now occupied by Avonside homes. Golf Loan and Fairways are streets in this estate.
Provost Sim hit the opening drive on the course. Mr Thomas Mackie was the captain. Sunday play was not allowed. The railway station was 5 minutes from the course..
Originally a 9 hole course at Gameshill, it was later, briefly, extended to 18 holes, the extra 9 holes constructed on the fields of Draffen.
A “Reliable Series” postcard of Gameshill.
Clubhouse on the left in the photo
The first hole was named “Blaw Wearie” after the house which could be seen in the distance as you played the hole.
Kirkford houses are in the background.
The photo of two golfers with bags shows them heading to the steps leading tup o the clubhouse and first tee. These steps were adjacent to the river Annick very close to the Cutstraw road / Kilmarnock Road junction at Kirkford, Stewarton.
Formal Opening of the Stewarton Golf Club, season 1922.
The couple on the putting green, of what used to be the 5th hole on the Draffen course are Alex and Anna McMillan, Alex was a local fishmonger in Stewarton. Meikle and Mid Cutstraw farms in the background. They are playing the hole named “Quarry”
Play on the 2nd green, “Cutstraw”.
The clubhouse and first tee were behind the two houses on Cutstraw Road on the right of the photo.
Silver medals presented by the Stewarton club by T.H .Gollan of Lochridge.
Thanks to Alister Barclay for the two photos. Circa 1938
Although Stewarton Golf Club was listed throughout the 1950s ,the course had disappeared by the late 1940s. However, the Stewarton Club lives on, affiliated to the SGU, with its current membership playing at Annanhill Golf Course, Kilmarnock.