Stewarton & District Historical Society
Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation SC 011194.
Site updated 21st Sept 2017, by Cutstraw Web Designs.
Dunlop Street 1970D
Stewarton Viaduct 2008
Coat of Arms reproduced by permission of Stewarton Community Council
Springwell Place 1860
History of Stewarton’s Railway Stations over the years
Stewarton’s first station.
Original company Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
Pre-grouping Glasgow and South Western Railway.
4th April 1843, opened as Stewarton, 22nd May 1848, closed.
November 1850, reopened,1st September 1873, renamed Cunninghamhead. January 1st 1955,closed.
Stewarton’s New Station, Dunlop road, in the town.
27th March 1871 opened, 7th November 1966,closed.
5th June 1967, re-opened. 1975 Line singled and one platform taken out of service.
2009 Line doubled and Platform 2 reinstated, National Rail – UK railway stations
Cunninghamhead , view towards Kilmarnock.
Cunninghamhead view towards Dalry c.1930
Stewarton station being tested for its opening in 1871
Station car park 1962
Southbound platform Stewarton Station 1962
Northbound platform Stewarton Station 1962
Aerial view 1970